[FoRK] Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Mar 23 01:06:54 PDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 04:20:12PM -0700, Bill Humphries wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2011, at 4:15 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>
> > http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/21/pro-nuclear-japan-fukushima
> > Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power
>
> Number of people missing attributable to Fukushima: 1
> Number of people dead attributable to Fukushima: 0
>
> Number of people missing attributable to earthquake and tsunami: 13,000
> Number of people dead attributable to earthquake and tsunami: 9,000

Have you stopped fucking your kids yet?

Offshore wind 300 km from the epicentre running without a hitch.
None of the photovoltaics is down (apart from that on top of
houses swept away, that is). Deep geothermal would be still
working, if they had thought of installing any of it.

Fukushima reactors are back online yet? What about Chernobyl's reactor?
How much power does it produce? Oh, wait, it still costs 5% of
Ukraine's GDP, after all these years?

Fuck, yeah, sign me up!