[FoRK] Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Wed Mar 23 07:14:42 PDT 2011

> an indestructible series of systems
> fail-safe systems
[boggle at the scope of hubris revealed]

Please keep us posted on when such fantasies become ~theoretically~
possible.

Then, when someone actually implements such a thing at some meaningful
scale.

Then, when some community exists that actually permit that unit within
sight.

Then, when any corporation exists that is not corrupt, to build the real
one.

Then, when a government exists that enforces clear standards, to
validate it.

Then, when an economy exists that can afford the inevitable costs of
failure.

Coz, when ~that~ happens -- when most of physics changes, and most of
human nature changes, and most of society changes, and most of business
changes, and most of government changes, and most of economics changes
-- a lot more of us will be a lot more willing to embrace nuclear power.

People are only human.  We're screw-ups.  We screw things up.  Things we
touch get screwed up.  Things we do screw us up.  Pretending otherwise
is utterly delusional.

The "foolishness" coefficient of requiring utter perfection far exceeds
that of seeking mere consistency.

GS