[FoRK] Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 25 11:31:36 PDT 2011

--- On Fri, 3/25/11, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:

> From: Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>
> Subject: Re: [FoRK] Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power
> To: fork at xent.com
> It's not binary, design is an evolutionary process.  "Overcome" and
> "Eliminate" are two different things.  You can always
> design something better.
>
> Obviously you aren't a fan of fault tree analysis?

In instances like these it is pretty much binary. Either a decision is made or an action taken that causes or enables a critical problem sometime in the [immediate or foreseeable] future or it isn't. Either the design allows for that to occur or it prevents it.

Yes, you can make it incrementally "better" (and I am not arguing against trying). From an analytical standpoint (fault tree/whatever) you might even approach perfection.

But you still don't get it. It doesn't matter how good the design is if people choose to simply ignore critical aspects of it.

In simple terms: you can put the perfect lock on the door. If someone forgets or chooses not to lock it or sells the key to someone you wanted locked out, your perfect lock doesn't do much good.

You can design a process which states thou shalt lock the door and thou shalt not sell the key to a thief. But I defy you to design an oversight and enforcement process that will anticipate and thwart all possible incentives for humans to do those things in any case.

        ...ken...