[FoRK] Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Mar 25 12:20:59 PDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:09:19PM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

>> But you still don't get it. It doesn't matter how good the design is if people choose to simply ignore critical aspects of it.
>
> So, if you design a self-contained reactor that is small enough, with a
> type of material that could not possibly melt down no matter how
> reconfigured, and a container that is hermetically sealed and designed
> and tested to withstand time and forces well in excess of anything
> conceivable (and then, probably, you bury the result):

Nobody will use it because there are cheaper alternatives.

I wonder why the blind spot; this should be obvious. In fact,
this is *precisely* what is happening. Out there. Hence the
endless number of small and middle incidents, in Germany,
France, Japan, U.S.

All by yourself you're an illustration why people are not
smart enough to use systems with severe failure modes with
no prior negative feedback.

Many people are into hubris. It's ok, as long as we don't let
these people deploy stuff they can't control.