[FoRK] Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Fri Mar 25 12:42:17 PDT 2011

On 3/25/2011 11:31 AM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> But you still don't get it. It doesn't matter how good the design is if people choose to simply ignore critical aspects of it.

I don't think I was arguing that...only that you can design around
stupdity.  That doesn't protect you from someone doing something even
stupider.

In simple terms, if someone doesn't use the lock correctly, you can
design another iteration (and another, and another) to reduce
forgetting.   Thus all products in the world incorporate some type of
risk tradeoff.   Fukushima argued that the circumstances following the
tsunami were 1-in-1000 year faults.  Obviously they were wrong.

You can't use the term "perfect" in your definition; that makes it
circular.  Perfect would imply there are no further design changes to
reduce failures by stupidity.

Again, I'm not arguing *all* possible, just that it can be incrementally
changed.  I'm arguing induction, you are arguing limits.

Greg