[FoRK] Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 25 22:08:14 PDT 2011

--- On Fri, 3/25/11, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:

> Again, I'm not arguing *all* possible, just that it can be
> incrementally changed.  I'm arguing induction, you are
> arguing limits.

YeahBut. We are discussing situations where induction still leaves significant opportunity for a load of death and destruction.

I'm not arguing limits.

I'm arguing that you can't design around human stupidity and cupidity. If you follow that reasoning to its logical conclusion, I guess you could say I'm arguing that you CAN'T do "limits". You might even say that I'm agreeing with you, somewhat. That the very best you can do is incremental improvements that will never really succeed; merely reduce the risks and/or consequences incrementally. Perhaps to a point where sufficiently large numbers believe the tradeoffs have tipped in favor of going ahead with, or continuing, whatever it is. The other option being, of course, to simply refrain. (That's not a recommendation; simply an observation.)

 ...ken...