[FoRK] Great graphs and facts: Energy

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Sat Mar 26 11:53:38 PDT 2011

> On 3/26/11 7:38 AM, Gary Stock wrote:
>> On 3/25/11 7:58 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>>> Darn thread has a long half-life! ;-)
>> And provides evidence of a heretofore undescribed material of
>> enormous density.
> A nicely ambiguous statement, that is.
Likely to no one but you.

>>> http://www.nucleartourist.com/basics/why.htm
>>>
>>> So, where are the corrections to those facts?
>> How would corrections of facts lead to the requisite acknowledgement
>> that human nature is the primary problem?
> It is the primary problem to be engineered around, yes.  We can
> engineer around it, as we've shown many times in the past.
D'oh!  There.  Yet again.  Inconceivable.

> One general way of engineering around it is to change the problem and
> the specific combination of solutions, which has already been largely
> done.
Not if the primary problem is human nature.

> Here, mostly-irrational fear seems to be the main thing holding us back.
Nothing could be more fully-irrational than to imagine that design can
supersede human nature -- except, perhaps, to suggest that an
understanding of human nature constitutes "fear."

> I'll also repeat my suspicion: We, at some esoteric long-thinking and
> "Foundation"al level, don't really want to stop paying the third world
> for oil too quickly.
At this proposition, the mind boggles.  Humans (and/or their
organizational systems) are so perversely self-destructive as to
motivate such a bizarre suspicion -- yet, 1) other systems designed 2)
by humans can 3) overcome such traits.

Let me try it this way:  you are the One -- the Only -- infinitely
superior, infallibly omniscient Übermensch.  The rest of us are merely
human. Until you are personally prepared to design, construct, and
operate these devices without our involvement, we must respectfully decline.

GS