[FoRK] Great graphs and facts: Energy

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 26 20:16:32 PDT 2011

--- On Sat, 3/26/11, Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net> wrote:

>>> Here, mostly-irrational fear seems to be the main thing holding us back.

>> Nothing could be more fully-irrational than to imagine
>> that design can supersede human nature -- except, perhaps,
>> to suggest that an understanding of human nature constitutes
>> "fear."
>
> Assuming that we cannot engineer solutions that have enough
> safety, in spite of the fact that such solutions already
> exist and seem to be shown to be more safe than necessary
> and far more safe than existing market leaders, is
> irrational.  It takes in facts, doesn't evaluate or
> refute the facts, and returns a constant answer.  That
> is irrational.

Geez, you REALLY don't get it, do you??

Irrationality is part of the human condition.

It's fundamental to what we're talking about.

There are situations where no amount of "design" will surmount it.  Especially when one or more of the vested interests is playing to it. (There are ALWAYS vested interests playing to it.)

I know I have highlighted stupidity and cupidity without elaborating. Please assume irrationality is one of the many traits that would commonly fall under "stupidity". The motivation(s) of the vested interests playing/pandering to it typically fall under "cupidity".

         ...ken...