[FoRK] Pablum

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Mar 28 13:27:10 PDT 2011

"intuition - Knowing Beyond Logic - Insights for a new way of living" - Osho - 2001

And I quote:

"Intuition cannot be explained scientifically becasue the very phenomenon is unscientific and irrational.  The very pheonomenon of
intuition is irrational. ...

And intuition is something beyond intellect, something not of the intellect, something coming from some place where intellect is
totally unaware.  So the intellect can feel it, but it cannot explain it.

The leap of intuition can be felt becasuse there is a gap.  Intuition can be felt by intellect - it can be noted that something has
happened - but it cannot be explained, because explanation needs causality.  Explanation means to answer the question from hwere
does it come, why does it come, what is the casue.  And it comes from somewhere else, not from the intellect itself - so there is no
intellectual cause.  There is no reason, no link, no continuity within the intellect.

Intuition is a different realm of happening that is not related to the intellect at all, although it  can penetrate the intellect.
  It must be understood that a higher reality can penetrate a lower reality, but the lower cannot penetrate the higher.  So
intuition can penetrate intellect because it is higher, but intellect cannot penetrate intuition because it is lower.

It is just like your mind can penetrate your body, but your body cannot penetrate the mind.  Your being can penetrate the mind, but
the mind cannot penetrate the being.  That is why, if you are going into the being, you have to separate yourself from body and mind
both.  They cannot penetrate a higher phenomenon.

As you go into a higher reality, the lower world of happenings has to be dropped.  There is no explanation of the higher in the
lower because the very terms of explanation don't exist there; they are meaningless.  But the intellect can feel the gap, it can
know the gap.  It can come to feel that "something has happened that is beyond me."  If even this much can be done, the intellect
has done much.

But the intellect can also reject what has happened.  That is what is meant by having faith or not having faith.  If you feel that
what cannot be explained by the intellect does not exist, then you are a "non-believer."  Then you will continue in this lower
existence of intellect, tethered to it.  Then you disallow mystery, then you disallow intuition to speak to you.

This is what a rationalist is.  The rationalist will not even see that something from the beyond has come.  If you are rationally
trained, you will not allow the higher; you will deny it, you will say, "It cannot be.  It must be my imagination; it must be my
dream.  Unless I can prove it rationally, I will not accept it."  A rational mind becomes closed, closed within the boundaries of
reasoning, and intuition cannot penetrate.

Intuition is possible because the unknowable is there.  Science denies the existence of the divine because it says, "there is only
one division: the known and the unknown.  If there is any God, we will discover him through laboratory methods.  If he exists,
science will discover him."

The mystic, on the other hand, says, "Whatever you do, something in the very foundation of existence will remain unknowable - a
mystery."  And if the mystics are not right, then I think that science is going to destroy the whole meaning of life.  If there is
no mystery, the whole meaning of life is destroyed and the whole beauty is destroyed.

The unknowable is the beuty, the meaning, the aspiration, the goal.  Because of the unknowable, life means something.  When
everything i sknown, then everything is flat.  You will be fed up, bored.  The unknowable is the secret; it is life itself.

I will say this:
Reason is an effort to know the unknown, and intuition is the happening of the unknowable.  To penetrate the unknowable is possible
but to explain it is not.

The feeling is possible; the explanation is not.  The more you try to explain it, the more closed you will become, so do not try.
  Let reason work in its own field, but remeber continuously that there are deeper realms.  There are deeper reasons, which reason
cannot understand.  Higher reasons, which reason is incapable of conceiving."