[FoRK] What's in a name?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Tue Mar 29 02:11:57 PDT 2011

Did anyone else notice?
If ornery college kids were scouring maps for suitable place names for disasters, they couldn't have picked better ones:

First Phuket.  Now Fukushima.  Good thing there is no nuclear plants in Intercourse, Pennsylvania or Assmanhausen.  (I did a double
take, and snapped a photo, of the Assmanhausen boat dock in Germany as we floated by a few years ago.)

It's so unlikely, from an English point of view, for the last two places to have the most damage caused by a tsunami to have names
like that.