[FoRK] What's in a name?

HK Pang hkpang at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 10:55:00 PDT 2011

Language translation can be very funny. Take 'America', for example,
is formally written as 'beautiful country' in Chinese. Sometimes,
people write it as 'rice country' because in Chinese slang, rice means
wealthy. After 9-11/Iraq/2008, people like to write it as 'bad-luck
country'. In Chinese, 'beautiful', 'rice' and 'bad-luck' are all
single-sound words that pronounced more or less the same.