[FoRK] What's in a name?

HK Pang hkpang at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:11:23 PDT 2011

Yeah, kanji/Chinese is pretty fun to read/write. Mega-homonyms
actually make it easy to find words that rhymn, good for poetry/lyrics
etc.
But homonymns in day to day life create lots of ambiguities. Korea,
for example, has always try to get rid of the kanji system. But if
they do that, they will have a very hard time identifying names and
places.

The other day,I was at a Cantonese restaurant and the waitress
(apparently not very fluent in Cantonese) told me the special of the
day was 'night flavored chicken'. I asked for clarification and she
repeated the same thing but explained what it was. Then I realized she
was trying to say "coconut flavored chicken'. She probably didn't know
'night flavor' was a popular euphemism for 'human feces'. In
Cantonese, both 'night' and 'coconut' sounds similar but a native
speaker can easily differentiate.