[FoRK] I'll take the second option

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Mar 30 10:22:56 PDT 2011

On 3/30/11 9:48 AM, Sean Conner wrote:
> It was thus said that the Great HK Pang once stated:
>> is there any software jobs left in the world that's not backed by ads?
>    Well, my current job is writing software to test ... well ... phone
> switches (kind of---the "phone switch" in question runs under Solaris (but
> isn't asterisk---it's basically code to add "features" to cell phones but
> the actual "features" live in the phone network).
>
>    -spc (So, is my job backed by ads?)

"Can you hear me now?"

Ads are the only workable and scalable micro/pico-payment system right now, where we are paying with attention.  Although, you could
view taxes as a similar system that pays a little to many recipients, but that we pay with cold hard cash.  Perhaps that's why we
feel that having to pay for subscriptions everywhere would feel too much like taxes.

The thing with ads, as irritating as they are, is that it takes something we have trouble valuing firmly, our attention, and trades
it for things that we can value.  The "apps" model, and the eBook surge, are providing some good alternatives.