[FoRK] I'll take the second option

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Wed Mar 30 11:27:05 PDT 2011

Pure guesswork:

1) When they began to offer the service -- decades ago -- everything was
manual.  What we perceive today as the trivial act of adding an unlisted
flag might ~originally~ have meant maintaining an entirely separate set
of physical records -- either constantly reprinting it, or marking up
multiple copies manually.  Possibly a bookkeeping nightmare...

2) Similarly, waaay back, when operators were a primary source for
number lookups, replacing those books even monthly might truly have been
expensive.

3) It is, in a sense, a request for special treatment -- thus the
perfect opening to add a new charge.

4) Once the public becomes accustomed to any charge, they're ~never~
gonna drop it ;-)

GS