[FoRK] I'll take the second option

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Mar 31 23:03:07 PDT 2011

On 3/31/11 10:16 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:
> --- On Wed, 3/30/11, HK Pang<hkpang at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> can you explain to me why it cost money to de-list from the phone
>> directory? it cost the consumer money to ask the phone
>> company to do less work, why?
>>
> It's actually more work, both administrative to set up the exception and exception processing thereafter.
>
>             ...ken...

However, in the modern way of thinking, you own your information, in certain senses and cases.  The phone companies made money,
indirectly, by having people use that information to find others and then using the phone to call them.  Owning your information,
you can withdraw permission to use your information.  The work of delisting should be paid for by the indirect profit made by
publishing that information in the first place.

Therefore, it is a bit of an affront to have to pay to have it removed.  Which is why no new charges for that kind of thing will
ever be approved.  The do-not-call registry as a prime example.  HIPAA, etc.

Oh the days of public monopoly utilities...