[FoRK] Do Not Anger the Alpha Android

Tom Higgins tomhiggins at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 07:11:21 PDT 2011

2011/3/31 Stephen Williams <sdw at lig.net>:
> On 3/31/11 5:43 PM, Jeffrey Kay wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't so much throwing dirt (full disclosure to others that don't know
>> --- I work on Windows Phone at Microsoft) --- just interested in knowing
>
> I don't think he was referring to you dissing the Goog.

Yea, I was not harshing you  at all. Rather the comments and such I
have seen boiling under/about  the article and a few other sources
mostly seemed sour grapes from folks looking to sling rather than
gather data on the topic.

Re carriers....in a perfect world Google would have been able to pull
off doing a few devices of its own to Show Em How Its Done...think of
them as reference devices that others could then dev to. Sadly though
the established carriers and market forces seemed to want more of the
same than something from the Googlezon.

I do not begrudge Google for trying to get the carriers to dev up to a
level where in there baby does not seem so fugly. Notice though the
option is still there, you can grab and go with the code base and make
whatever monstrosity you desire.

As a user these means I can ditch the carriers idea of a build and go
with one of several damn useful alternatives...like
http://www.cyanogenmod.com/ for instance.  It also means I can have a
device like the Augen78, long since shucked off by its manufacturer as
far as updating goes, and continue making it useful with alternatives.
End of Life is not contingent solely on the whims of the manufacturer.

Choices choices...and for making those choices I am not treated like a
criminal  https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/02/apple-says-jailbreaking-illegal

Much love to all my forkpeeps regardless of os proclivity or dim sum
preferences..

-tom(aint no fooling on that)higgins.