[FoRK] Do Not Anger the Alpha Android

Jeffrey Kay jeff at jeffreykay.com
Fri Apr 1 09:59:50 PDT 2011

Inline below ...

--- jeff | jeff at jeffreykay.com | www.jeffreykay.com (blog) |
www.kayslens.com (photos) | kosherhog (twitter) | i'm a pc | החזיר כשר

On 3/31/11 5:43 PM, Jeffrey Kay wrote:
> I wasn't so much throwing dirt (full disclosure to others that don't
> know
> --- I work on Windows Phone at Microsoft) --- just interested in
> knowing

I don't think he was referring to you dissing the Goog.
And good luck with that.  ;-)

[jbk] Thanks :-)  This is by far the best stuff I've worked on since joining
MSFT 6 years ago (passed that milestone on Monday the 28th).  But it's a
long road from here.

> whether others were as incensed about this as some of the blogs I've
> been reading.
>
> It's really not MSFT or Apple that are taking up arms over this AFAICT.
> Google has started to tighten up its control over Android.  I think
> folks that use Android had the Linux picture in their heads --- they
> could do whatever they wanted without any consequences and they had a
> sugar daddy paying the bills to keep moving it forward.  Now Google is
> saying that this isn't quite the case --- if they are going to pay the
> bills, there's a quid pro quo.

I haven't yet seen all of the specifics, however I expect that the details
amount to: "Sure, you can do whatever you want, within reason, and with high
standards, and continued interoperability, and don't poison the market.  And
contribute something back once in a while."  Or they will amount to that
when the dust settles.

[jbk] This move makes total sense from Google's perspective.  To effectively
monetize the platform, they need to make sure they aren't giving revenue
away.  As complex a problem as it is, the fact that Verizon can replace
Google with Bing on Android phones doesn't help Google any more than
carriers that have arrangements with Google seek to put it on the Windows
Phones instead of Bing.  We're at the stage now that advertising and
services are driving the revenue for the platforms, so use of those
platforms is going to have to come with conditions around ensuring those
services are available (not replaced by carriers and OEMs) and work properly
(advertising, app compatibility, etc.).  I think that's what's dominating
the uproar around this --- an OEM or carrier won't be able to make a deal to
replace Google's android app store with Amazon's and the like if they want
first crack and the bits.  And first mover advantage is important in this
business ...

> I admit I'm amused, but only by the fact that was _totally_ predictable.
> Google won't continue investing in a platform without maximizing their
> revenues --- that's their search model also.  They drop projects that
> don't pay.  On the plus side for Android users, this is a tacit
> promise that they

It's been written that the main reason that projects get dropped is that
engineers lose interest and stop working on them.  I'm curious of the full
dynamics of that.

[jbk] I had lunch with a friend of mine who works for Google recently and we
talked about this a little.  I didn't get much detail but it is clearly
engineering driven.

> are not going to step away from Android any time soon.  But for the
> huge number of OEMs that just want a platform to use as a base for
> their own projects, this is going to start limiting them.  Does this
> really mean

It _may_ start limiting them.  The system is already open source, so if you
just want a departure point, I don't see how it would limit you.  If you are
just releasing an Android system, and expect to continue releasing an
Android system with updates etc., then this isn't going to be limiting at
all: It is probably required to get out of the mode where manufacturers and
phone companies poison the market somewhat

[jbk] Oh, I think this is going to be limiting. See my previous comments.
You're right about folks just looking for departure points, but really the
OEMs are trying to move up the value chain and others want into it and this
is going to curtail some of that.