[FoRK] Outlook Is Awful

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Fri Apr 1 12:38:46 PDT 2011

[Prefix reply, without inline responses, for the Outlook-using email impaired.]
Can't do Hebrew in Unicode?  In any case, that's a good reason.  Mystery solved.  Probably a MacOSX fail for a poor font mapping, or
perhaps Thunderbird for the same reason.  (The Hebrew itself dispays perfectly in Thunderbird on MacOSX.)

I know Outlook isn't your area.  Feel free to pass my sentiments to the Outlook product managers.  They are losers.  This is a rare
case where I can't say that strongly enough.  There simply is no excuse.  There isn't even an alternate, proprietary way to solve
the inline reply threading problem.  Outlook simply is a more primitive email application for the core purpose of showing and
editing email text with a glaring omission of a crucial feature.

Otherwise:
Thunderbird does perfect quoting, indenting, and display coloring for both standardized text and HTML message threads.  It will even
reflow non-HTML text when possible so that there is little capability or visual difference between HTML and text modes.  Yes, it is
alive and well and has been revamped repeatedly.  And it is available on all platforms, using the same plugins and extensions.  Of
all of the shortcomings of Outlook, this one is unacceptable, crucial, and is an ongoing negative force in the universe.  Even
Gmail, in a browser, does it much better, with the added feature of hide/show for quoted text.  Even Squirrelmail, open source and
web based, does indenting and inline editing for both text and HTML mode perfectly.  (Switches to text-mode when editing.)  And,
even in text mode, displays Hebrew fine.  (Although I understand from my Israel-origin friend that RtoL is broken almost everywhere.)

This one feature, proper inline-quoting display and editing, is symptomatic of the general brokenness of Microsoft (which is not to
say that it is universal).  In fact, I suspect it probably plays a measurable part in the shallowness of both Microsoft and other
companies that use Outlook.  It is essentially impossible to have an ongoing email "conversation" without a lot of work, producing a
poor result and limiting discussion.  The end result is that people use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint to try to organize a
conversation, leading to one-line email messages with a Word doc attached.  Then the Word doc has a page of text with Wordsian
comments.  Then the whole process becomes a mess of different revisions of the same document with different changes and comments.
All, in many cases, because you can't do fundamental email conversations with Outlook.  A cynical enough person might suspect that
Microsoft leaves this feature broken to encourage such use of Office to get around it.  The only other explanation is incompetence.

Outlook has lots of bells and whistles, but gets the core wrong.  It's a toy app, unusable for anything serious.  "It's no good.
You ain't got no soul."

You can check to see what you are outputting by looking in Sent and looking at the View/Source of the message.

To be clear, I'm not bashing Microsoft employees.  I know they are great people.  Unfortunately, something about the process, and
perhaps a few people, is not right.  And that continues to screw us.  They need to hire someone to say "Stop giving me excuses.
This is broken.  Fix it.  Now.", empower them to insist on change, and get it done.

Stephen

On 4/1/11 11:28 AM, Jeffrey Kay wrote:
> Okay,  I knew you would hammer me for this.  I don't work on Outlook, so
> don't blame me.  Inline, Outlook-style, below ...
>
> --- jeff | jeff at jeffreykay.com | www.jeffreykay.com (blog) |
> www.kayslens.com (photos) | kosherhog (twitter) | i'm a pc | החזיר כשר

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX
V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407 AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams Yahoo:sdwlignet Resume: http://sdw.st/gres Personal: http://sdw.st
facebook.com/sdwlig twitter.com/scienteer