[FoRK] How safe is the data on your cellphone?

Russell Turpin russell.turpin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 06:17:16 PDT 2011

The ACLU has been raising questions about devices that Michigan and
Virginia police use to extract data from the smartphones of stopped
motorists:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html
http://www.techeye.net/security/virginia-coppers-steal-phone-data

An interesting question with regard to smart phones is how well they
protect their data. I doubt the password option most provide does
anything more than lock out the casual individual who finds your
phone. (And is that even desirable? What is the point of including an
ICE # in your contact list, if the EMT who might try to use that is
blocked by your password?)

It seems to me that phone data security is pretty poorly thought out.
While more and more data is being put on them. And more financial
transactions are done through them.