[FoRK] Trumped!

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Wed Apr 27 14:50:51 PDT 2011

On Apr 27, 2011, at 1:55 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> I considered pointing out last week that Trump seems to be the Democratic secret weapon, on his own accord or not.

I do not see how this is helping the Democrats, what Trump has done is far more useful to the Republicans.

First, the birther issue is now a Trump issue and not a Republican issue. He owns it. Trump masterfully played the media, undoubtedly for his own media-whoring purposes, but as a side effect it adds some distance between that issue and mainstream Republicans. No one views Trump as a real Republican.

Second, any way you slice it Trump made Obama look weak. I was surprised that Obama responded at all, never mind actually giving Trump what he wanted. It is not exactly a secret that Obama is thin-skinned but the extent to which someone of no consequence can apparently manipulate him just adds to this impression.

The birthers will be relegated to an out-of-sight, out-of-mind fringe by the time the 2012 electoral cycle comes around.

> At the very least, it is great performance art at making fun of the dummies who will fall for anything.

It has been entertaining. I have to give Trump credit for one thing, he really knows how to use the media for his own ends.

> We're probably going to have to get a lot worse before really curing these goofs of believing anything, but it is an interesting step.

Curing them of believing? Not likely. People love their nutty conspiracy theories.

The Republicans have their Birthers and the Democrats have their 9/11 Truthers (40%!?). The conspiracy nutters will always be with us with their conspiracy du jour and they are legion.

Let's face it, both political parties are chock full o' nuts. It explains much about the state of the US.