[FoRK] Fwd: On the Birth Certificate Idiocracy

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun May 1 14:09:15 PDT 2011

On May 1, 2011, at 11:26 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Good.  I agree, that many can't really believe such nonsense, they are just screwing up the polls as grass-roots disinformation.

Partly true perhaps, but I think it is more that people are talking past each other in the polls which is being exploited by the usual political soldiers.

Anecdotally, I do not know any self-described Republicans that are "birthers" the way the Left usually defines the term, though I am sure they exist. There *are* a lot of Republicans who think that the official account of Obama's past is whitewashed and dodgy, but that is a different claim. For example, believing that Obama is a natural born US citizen is not inconsistent with believing that a birth certificate was fabricated. The bomb throwers always make the most extreme interpretation possible.

An even more inexplicable example of this is Trig Birtherism. As far as I know, Sarah Palin isn't even running for office so it is a bit jarring to see it elevated to something that needs to be discussed in the national media where I can see it. Wasting a few column inches on Obama Birtherism is somewhat expected even if uninteresting -- he is President.