[FoRK] Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 ==, maybe better than iPad 2

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed May 11 12:46:30 PDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:00:26AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
> While conceptually I like the more-square aspect ration of the iPad 2, as
> soon as you fire up HD video, the HD aspect ratio of both the Xoom and
> Galaxy Tab 10.1 pays off, making the iPad 2 look quite a bit less
> attractive.  The Tab has a resolution of 1280x800 while the iPad 2 is
> 1024x768.  The Tab is thinner (8.6 mm vs. 8.8) and lighter (595 grams vs.
> 613).  Can't find quoted battery life, so we'll see.

I went for the Nook color instead. 191 EUR, can't beat the display
quality. I'll be using an a Huawei Ideos U8150 (rooted) as a 3G
WiFi AP. I hope iPad 3 will have Retina-like display, or whatever
else will be coming along.

> There's no quoted screen technology type published that I can find, but
> the Tab is super bright and clear.  I'd guess that it's OLED or similar.

Just LED-backlit IPS, I think. Compare this to Galaxy and others:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmjfISagOUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFY7214qsz8

> The iPad 2 is far more saturated and a bit more clear than the Motorola
> Xoom, but the Tab beats the iPad 2 by a bit.  The default tactile
> feedback on the Tab is nice also.
>
> So far, highly impressive.  Apple's hardware butt was just kicked within 6 months.

Cupertino doesn't develop basic technologies like displays.

> It will be interesting to see who implements sticky/slippery surface modulation in a tablet first.

Not sure what the added value would be. Just piezo actuators
integrated into display would do nicely.

> Honeycomb 3.1 and Ice Cream Sandwich (oh brother...) are shaping up to be
> impressive, especially with pushing Android and compatible protocols and
> libraries down into ambient / accessory devices, etc.

I'm impressed how easy to root the Huawei was, and it brought along
busybox. After purchasing an SSH server on Android market logging in
into your phone was a piece of cake. Now if only I could find a decent
Forth for Android...

> Both the Android and Chromepad stories are interesting, but oddly distant
> at this point.  At least the Chromepad will keep Intel happy enough while
> they worry about Arm taking over the low-power / high performance world.
> Apparently, there is no Atom Honeycomb (and therefore no tablet)
> currently.

Atom has really jumped the shark. By the time quad-core ARM is there
dual-core Atom will be basically dead.