[FoRK] Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 ==, maybe better than iPad 2

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed May 11 17:16:47 PDT 2011

On 5/11/11 12:46 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:00:26AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
>> While conceptually I like the more-square aspect ration of the iPad 2, as
>> soon as you fire up HD video, the HD aspect ratio of both the Xoom and
>> Galaxy Tab 10.1 pays off, making the iPad 2 look quite a bit less
>> attractive.  The Tab has a resolution of 1280x800 while the iPad 2 is
>> 1024x768.  The Tab is thinner (8.6 mm vs. 8.8) and lighter (595 grams vs.
>> 613).  Can't find quoted battery life, so we'll see.
> I went for the Nook color instead. 191 EUR, can't beat the display
> quality. I'll be using an a Huawei Ideos U8150 (rooted) as a 3G
> WiFi AP. I hope iPad 3 will have Retina-like display, or whatever
> else will be coming along.

My Galaxy wasn't retail.  But that was a pretty narrow opportunity.  ;-)

I'm very interested in a Honeycomb Nook color also.

>> There's no quoted screen technology type published that I can find, but
>> the Tab is super bright and clear.  I'd guess that it's OLED or similar.
> Just LED-backlit IPS, I think. Compare this to Galaxy and others:

*OLED displays have a pop that is very hard to get with transmissive LCDs.  If it is LCD, it is the among the best I've ever seen.
The 7" Galaxy is definitely not, but this is the not yet released 10.1.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmjfISagOUA
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFY7214qsz8
>
>> The iPad 2 is far more saturated and a bit more clear than the Motorola
>> Xoom, but the Tab beats the iPad 2 by a bit.  The default tactile
>> feedback on the Tab is nice also.
>>
>> So far, highly impressive.  Apple's hardware butt was just kicked within 6 months.
> Cupertino doesn't develop basic technologies like displays.

I was referring to the whole package.  For instance, nobody else has a bluetooth keyboard (Motorola has one close, but doesn't sell
it separately) or mouse or desktop box like Apple.
Here, there's nothing obvious that's better about an iPad 2 vs. the Galaxy Tab 10.1, as opposed to comparing it to a Xoom.  Except
for the magnetic leather cover.  That's somewhat surprising.

>> It will be interesting to see who implements sticky/slippery surface modulation in a tablet first.
> Not sure what the added value would be. Just piezo actuators
> integrated into display would do nicely.

Yes, but something more than what has been implemented in production devices so far:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/227584/friction_control_makes_touchscreens_sticky_or_slippery.html

> The screen uses technology that is different from the haptic feedback sometimes used in smartphones. With haptic feedback, users
> feel the screen vibrate. Users of the prototype screen feel their fingers pushed away from the screen, rather than feeling a
> vibration.
>
> "It's a bit like an air hockey table," Levesque said.
>
> The prototype screen is only a few inches diagonally, but it's housed in a relatively large case. The screen also uses lasers to
> determine the position of the finger. As the team develops the project further, they would like to make the entire device smaller
> and replace the lasers with capacitive sensing.

Should be very cool, but will take a while to get there.
>> Honeycomb 3.1 and Ice Cream Sandwich (oh brother...) are shaping up to be
>> impressive, especially with pushing Android and compatible protocols and
>> libraries down into ambient / accessory devices, etc.
> I'm impressed how easy to root the Huawei was, and it brought along
> busybox. After purchasing an SSH server on Android market logging in
> into your phone was a piece of cake. Now if only I could find a decent
> Forth for Android...

In a lot of cases, Google and/or the hardware vendor require that rooting is allowed.  When the phone providers are involved, they
seem to insist on preventing it for phone devices, but are apparently more flexible for tablet-only devices.  I'm guessing this
indicates some bad hacks are possible on a rooted phone.  Motorola specifically said at AnDevCon that their tablet devices would be
rootable for development.  Google specifically mentioned the Chromepad will be rootable for dev.  Unclear about GoogleTV, but I'm
pretty sure that will come with the addition of Android apps.  They have to have adb access to have Market apps, a rule apparently.

>> Both the Android and Chromepad stories are interesting, but oddly distant
>> at this point.  At least the Chromepad will keep Intel happy enough while
>> they worry about Arm taking over the low-power / high performance world.
>> Apparently, there is no Atom Honeycomb (and therefore no tablet)
>> currently.
> Atom has really jumped the shark. By the time quad-core ARM is there
> dual-core Atom will be basically dead.

Yep, I think so.  It seems we'll have 16 core ARM, and even more impressive GPUs, in a year or so.