[FoRK] MS Skynet: Microsoft Buys Skype for $8.5B

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu May 12 09:28:58 PDT 2011

> I'm not sure why everyone is so negative about the Skype deal.  One of Skype's largest growing business areas is their business
> manager for SMBs.  Microsoft owns the SMB market.  Even for large companies it's become the de facto collaboration tool.

It's great for Skype's current owners, and perhaps for their employees.  It probably will be good for Microsoft-centric customers.
It will probably be good for Microsoft, with $50B to spend and a lot of it offshore, although probably not to the degree that
Ballmer's hoping.

I think it will be bad for Skype as a product and brand.  Competition will finally gain a footing, out of fear, spite, geek energy,
etc.  Already, there are a number of alternatives, although I don't think any of them get it right yet.  For instance, it doesn't
seem like any have a true p2p bandwidth model, although I was told that Google's client has '6 ways to get through the border /
firewall'.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2010/12/22/6-great-skype-alternatives/

The deal might be good for legitimizing vvoip as the foreign ownership of Skype (other than Ebay's remaining stake) was probably
holding it back.  This will probably help alternatives.  It's possible that Microsoft championing Skype on their mobile devices may
push mobile boundaries in ways that Apple/Android hasn't yet.

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42507107/ns/business-small_business/t/review-skype-manager-small-business-call-services/

Cool features, however it doesn't seem that they realize that video needs fixed and extra features for a lot of key use cases.

sdw

--
Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net stephendwilliams at gmail.com LinkedIn: http://sdw.st/in V:650-450-UNIX (8649) V:866.SDW.UNIX
V:703.371.9362 F:703.995.0407 AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams Yahoo:sdwlignet Resume: http://sdw.st/gres Personal: http://sdw.st