[FoRK] KK: the art of endless upgrades

Ken Meltsner meltsner at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 17 08:03:54 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>wrote:

> Mr. KK simultaneously discovered entropy theory and software bitrot?
>
> Greg
>

> On 5/17/2011 7:04 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>

>> http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2011/04/the_art_of_endl.php
>>
>> The Art of Endless Upgrades
>>
>> When we first moved into our current house, newly married, I had some
>> caulking to do around the place. I found some silicon caulking that
>> boasted
>> on the tube that it was warranted for 20 years. Cool, I thought. I'll
>> never
>> have to do this again.
>>

> Part of it may be the shock of discovering that you will be around long
enough to worry about replacing the replacement -- 20 years life for a caulk
is effectively forever if you plan to move in 5-10 years, but you may want
to spring for the longest life product just in case you decide to settle
down..

If you live in an hundred-year old house, you find that you may be on the
third or fourth replacement for a given subsystem; worst case is when you
have a hundred years of partial upgrades and replacements.

Feel free to extend this to software, the human body (if you live long
enough, you end up replacing your fillings several times...), etc.

Ken Meltsner