[FoRK] Microsoft completes a "soft buy" of Nokia, was: Re: Microsoft paying Nokia $1 billion to use WP7

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jun 5 20:27:14 PDT 2011

I may try it soon, but MS exhausted my patience quota for today (see below).

Alternatives:
Qt Quick - most promising, all desktops + some mobile (ported to Android but not sure how usable that is yet).
http://qt.nokia.com/qtquick/
http://qt.nokia.com/developer/learning/online/talks/developerdays2010/tech-talks/qt-quick-rapid-user-interface-prototyping/

Qt Quick -> GWT would be cool to support web apps.  One try: http://qtwui.sourceforge.net/
Qt for Android is already well on its way:
http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/02/28/necessitas/
http://sourceforge.net/p/necessitas/wiki/Home/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtA_7kaB-0g

It's been ported to IOS, but pre-alpha completeness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYJdi48B8Q&feature=related
http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt-iphone/
http://developer.qt.nokia.com/search/tag/ios

Plus Qt's in WebOS: http://opensource.palm.com/2.0.0/index.html
But souped up Webkit, with a very nice designer is very compelling.

Other alternatives:
http://www.droiddraw.org/

Good comprehensive list:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?GuiPrototypingTools
http://speckyboy.com/2010/05/10/android-app-developers-gui-kits-icons-fonts-and-tools/

> Microsoft Expression Blend 4's Sketchflow is the best new class of software product I've seen in 10 years.  I think it's truly
> innovative.
>
> Greg

Looks cool, but:

First page returned by Google gets this result:
http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/cc136530
> The connection has timed out
>           The server at expression.microsoft.com is taking too long to respond.

Third one requires newest Siverlight:

>   Get Microsoft Silverlight
>
> Silverlight home page
> Upgrade Microsoft Silverlight
> for a better Web experience
>
> An earlier version of Silverlight has been detected.
>
> Installed version: Silverlight 4 (4.0.51204.0)
>
> Current version: Silverlight 4 (4.0.60310.0) <https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/handlers/getsilverlight.ashx>
>

> You may need to restart your browser.
>
>     * Installation Instructions
>     * System Requirements
>     * Uninstall Silverlight
>
>   1.
>

>           Verify your system requirements
>
>       Make sure you are running a Silverlight-compatible Macintosh operating system and browser and that you have uninstalled any
>       previous version of Silverlight.

I have to uninstall Silverlight before installing a point upgrade?  All this to see a video about their other product?

Additionally, I have to restart Firefox in 32-bit mode since they (and only they as far as I've run into) don't have a 64-bit plugin.