[FoRK] Another election year.... another bum economy

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Thu Jun 16 00:28:05 PDT 2011

On Jun 15, 2011, at 11:29 PM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> On 6/15/11 10:35 AM, Aaron Burt wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:24:47PM -0400, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
>>> I figure the presidency will likely swing one way or another based mostly
>>> on how poorly people are feeling about the economy.
>> Not to worry, News Corp is shouting down the economy as loudly as possible.
>
> No kidding.  Instead of putting effort into constructive attention, ideas, and new directions, we get more concentration on negatives, pessimistic attitudes, and failure.  Making piles of cash by working as hard as you can on a self-fulfilling prophecy that directly sabotages the vast majority of your listeners is perverted.

It is not as though the news media had to fabricate this, in many ways the economy *is* doing poorly. The actions of the government, doing little useful but finding time for the usual graft and waste on historic scales, fuels the widespread pessimism.

On what basis should the average person feel optimistic about the economy? Focus for a moment on the 60% of the population that does not believe the absurd fictions promulgated by the political parties. Most people work in retail sales, process paperwork, drive vehicles, manage a lumberyard, etc for a living. What are they supposed to be looking forward to given the observable facts of their situation and the situation of those around them? They can't all become PHP-wrangling hipsters.

A caveat is that the software industry is doing great -- there is a selection bias here. Unfortunately, only a minuscule fraction of the people in the US can participate in this industry in a meaningful way. I guess government employees are doing pretty well too. For most everyone else, putting on rose-colored glasses does not change the scenery.