[FoRK] Another election year.... another bum economy

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Thu Jun 16 11:45:14 PDT 2011

On 6/16/2011 11:39 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
> Who do you think is more at fault? Those who were out to prevent any
> legislation from passing no matter what, and who promulgated all kinds
> of misleading pablum to scare the masses into a "just say No"?

Not being one of the emotional, under-informed masses, I never saw this
part--or else my filters are so well refined that I don't even
acknowledge it as real debate.

> who refused to "fail" to pass something? You can fault the latter group
> for not aiming right, but you can also fault the former group for not
> being constructive. I can't separate the "Democrats / Obama must fail"
> from "this bill isn't ready yet" motivations: There is much more
> evidence for the former from before the bill was passed.

I haven't seen any "D/O must fail" ideology either.  All his policies
are welcome to take a digger.

> Most interesting, towards the end the heads of the biggest health care
> insurance companies were calling for legislation, and legislation that
> specifically required everyone to carry health insurance (just like auto
> insurance works). That was constructive because it would fix the
> individual insurance vs. group insurance disparity that has already
> pretty much made the former non-existent. Imagine if you couldn't drive
> if you didn't work for a large conglomerate.

We should sit around and complain until someone does something. :-)

Greg