[FoRK] Making robotics a priority

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 16:36:48 PDT 2011

+1 Ken.

-----Original Message-----

So let's see if I've got this right: robots give us the ability to create
lots more stuff to consume while, simultaneously, making it harder for us to
earn the money necessary to purchase all that stuff (e.g. fewer jobs).  Is
that about right?

I'm, in large part, referring to the number one bullet: "Increase the
productivity of workers in the manufacturing sector".

In this context, "increase the productivity of workers" means only one
thing: put a bunch of those workers out of work.  It does not increase the
productivity of workers one bit. What it increases the productivity of is
money, not people.

And you think this is a Good Thing?  Good enough to make it some sort of
priority?

Could you explain?  In monosyllables, please, so even a dummy like me can
comprehend.