[FoRK] Making robotics a priority

Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo ken_ganshirt at yahoo.ca
Tue Jul 12 19:26:34 PDT 2011

--- On Mon, 7/11/11, Greg Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org> wrote:

> I think they allow companies to
> increase competitiveness, so not that it's zero sum, but any
> short term detriments are far outweighed by the long term
> profitability of the company which in turn goes back to
> competitiveness.

I don't get that, either, Greg. How is it that "competitiveness", in this context, is a Good Thing? Specifically, how is it that making the investors in a company richer balances or outweighs having fewer people working in the economy?

And how is it that making a company more profitable ties back to competitiveness? I can see how a competitive company might, arguably, be more profitable. I don't see how making a company more profitable necessarily makes it more competitive.

Can you help me with that?

             ...ken...