[FoRK] Making robotics a priority

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Tue Jul 12 20:25:16 PDT 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 7:26 PM, Ken Ganshirt @ Yahoo wrote:

> Specifically, how is it that making the investors in a company richer balances or outweighs having fewer people working in the economy?

The benefit to the people on welfare outweighs the benefit to people who lost their jobs.

There is nothing intrinsically valuable about working per se. We value work primarily because it is a major vehicle for monkeys to participate in status games. Status games are a major monkey raison d'être -- think of the children.

> And how is it that making a company more profitable ties back to competitiveness? I can see how a competitive company might, arguably, be more profitable. I don't see how making a company more profitable necessarily makes it more competitive.

More profit means more capital available for long-term investments in the company. It increases flexibility, potential adaptivity, and the ability to make bets that won't return on investment for a few years.