[FoRK] Making robotics a priority

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 13 03:57:29 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 08:11:08PM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
> On 7/12/11 7:30 PM, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>> Stephen Williams wrote on 7/11/2011 8:43 PM:
>>> If "we" do solve it, then we'll share with everyone most likely and,
>>> after the dust settles on the Robot Revolution and AI Revolution, people
>>> with menial jobs will find other kinds of work. And we'll mostly work
>>> less and get closer to a post-scarcity world in more senses than now.
>>
>> And you propose we get to post-scarcity though peak-oil,
>> peak-phosphorous, peak-water, peak-fiat, lack of education, 60/40
>> gender imbalances, and rapid destruction of the planet... how exactly?
>>
> More robotics / AI / automation.  Didn't I make that clear?

Had you said nanotechnology and superintelligent AI I'd agree.

However, we're not getting these anytime soon. Because almost nobody
is working on it.

Robotics is about the only thing to make scalable organic
agriculture happen, which at least postpones the malthusian
reckoning. Key factor is renewable energy and synthons, which
is too little and too late.

A softer depopulation option than die-off by degraded ecosystem
(assisted by a nuclear exchange) would be engineered plagues.