[FoRK] Making robotics a priority

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Wed Jul 13 13:21:14 PDT 2011

Article on innovation and competitiveness in today's WSJ.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304447804576412084061290852.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

Life-science companies today are among America's premier innovators. Six
of the top 10 companies in global research and development expenditures
are biopharmaceutical, according to a 2010 report by Booz & Co. American
drug companies reinvest more than 20% of their U.S. sales revenues in
research. As recently as 2008, more than 67% of all U.S.
biopharmaceutical patents were issued to U.S.-based life-science companies.

The industry is also a major employer. Merck, the company I manage, has
over 40,000 people on its payroll in the U.S. And while overall
pharmaceutical employment here has shrunk in recent years, it still tops
650,000. These are high-quality jobs, with an average salary of more
than $95,000. Biopharmaceutical research is skilled and labor-intensive.