[FoRK] Making robotics a priority

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jul 15 04:14:05 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 04:26:41PM -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> You also assert that "wages have only increased trivially in real world
> terms".   I cited a source that shows over the past century, real world

The past century in the developed world is probably not typical
for the next future. What could be more typical is the last couple
decades.

> wages which take into account inflation, voluntary actions, and other
> relevant factors, the data supports the conclusions:
>
> 1) Productivity increased 9.2 times over that in 1900 and 5.6 times of
> that in 1930,

Which resulted in a very high effective unemployment. Effective
wages have been stagnating since 1990, depending on location.
U.S. is probably a decade late to that particular party.

> 2) Leisure has increased 10% since 1900, and

You have high-productivity workers on the threshold to karoshi, and people
out of work bored out of their wits.

> 3) Increase in real wages, where real means *even adjusted with
> inflation* of 820% since 1900

Try since 1990.

> If you think 9.2X and 820% is trivial, then I have a bunch of VCs I'd
> like to introduce you to.

Most of these local 7 gigamonkeys (soon 9) don't have these problems.
Net impact of Borlaug could well have been negative.