[FoRK] networking question

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Sun Jul 24 15:11:17 PDT 2011

Any PC or PC-like device running Linux could do this trivially.  It's about 10 lines of networking configuration max.
If you have managed switches, you could even do it with a single or maybe dual ethernet ports using vlans.

Linux has extensive metering, QoS, latency/fault simulation, etc.  all built in.  Easy to set up.

There are PlugPC and similar devices that have multiple GigE ports that would be perfect for this.

Cisco devices are much harder to program properly than the LInux command line configuring the kernel...  Plus, the Cisco
equipment, switches in particular, often have a lot of capability limitations because they need to do most of the switching in
hardware.  You don't need that for an apartment / Internet environment.

Stephen