[FoRK] No More Cursive?

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Aug 24 09:18:54 PDT 2011

I agree with Dave.  While there is a critical period for learning
language at all and learning a language as a native speaker, it is not
the period where you can learn the fastest.  In terms of raw bits
acquired, a focused adult (which rarely happens) who hasn't forgotten
how to learn (or better, has sharpened the habit) can learn much faster
than young children.  That doesn't mean that can easily or at all get
past the pidgin / creole level of using a language "natively", but that
they can learn raw bits (vocabulary, etc.) faster.  Having an extensive
existing mental language framework makes hanging new terms on those
nodes much faster, except perhaps where the languages clash
conceptually.  A Chinese speaker, where most language tenses aren't
"native" to the language learning English or a Romance language with
past pluperfect etc. for instance.

I think that adults are generally distracted by many other activities
and tend to only allocate bits of time to something while a 5 year old
is at something like language acquisition the whole time they are awake.

sdw