[FoRK] Anyone here use subversion?

John D. Mitchell jdmitchell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 15:46:01 PDT 2011

On Aug 26, 2011, at 15:11 , Lucas Gonze wrote:

> I propose that git has crushed all other source code control systems before it.

Naw. It's just the big popular kid on the block. It's real legacy is actually going to be Github.

> After an amazingly short reign for svn, considering how long cvs owned
> the crown. It's like svn opened the floodgates of creativity and
> inspired git, then was swept away by its protege.

svn was always a pathetic abortion of an improvement over CVS. :-)

For teams moving to a DVCS from svn/cvs, Mercurial is a much better choice.

The distributed trend was started well before svn but it was all disjointed and mostly hacks done inside various companies. BitKeeper was a much bigger issue in "inspiring" Linus to create Git.

Have fun,
John