[FoRK] interesting electoral concept

Jebadiah Moore jebdm at jebdm.net
Wed Aug 31 10:19:46 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>wrote:

> I was hoping he'd go look up the definition.  I thought it was less rude
> that telling him to go read a couple historical philosophy books and stop
> regurgitating his first year agitprop and mental masturbation on FoRK.
>
> Greg

I'm not sure what I did to rattle your chains, since all I was asking about
was what particular justification (if any) convinced you to believe in some
particular form of moral absolutism.  It's true that I was asking because I
have yet to hear a convincing justification for it, not because I was trying
to dissuade you (or anyone else from it), but because I'm open to hearing
arguments for absolutism.

So 'agitprop' is hardly an appropriate metaphor.  And I don't think that
thinking about your moral system and its foundations can really be
considered mental masturbation, since even if a moral absolute exists,
people don't all seem to be able to agree on what it is.  (And historical
philosophy books wouldn't do me much good since I was looking to hear your
personal choice rather than a general defense for moral absolutism.)