[FoRK] interesting electoral concept

Jebadiah Moore jebdm at jebdm.net
Wed Aug 31 11:45:11 PDT 2011

I was asking after yours personally because I was interested to see what
kind of arguments would convince a person on this list (not that I though
your sample of one would be adequate to generalize from).  I certainly
didn't plan to solve a grand philosophical problem, but I don't think it's
unhelpful to discuss problems even when you cannot solve them, and it seems
positively useful to be familiar with other peoples' beliefs and their
reasons for holding them.

I assumed you were using the 'agitprop' metaphor to mean that I was trying
to convey a message, possibly in a political-theatrical type way, but if you
got that impression then you were reading too much into what was really a
simple question.

This confused me:

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Gregory Alan Bolcer <greg at bolcer.org>wrote:

> Agitprop is an appropriate metaphor OR are you not being properly tolerant
> of things you consider inappropriate but which others consider
> appropriate--things like differing opinions, for instance--to allow for
> variance of list views, which seems to have for nearly everyone on the list
> collectively become vastly tolerant of newbies spouting their crap.

So if I've interpreted the metaphor correctly (and please tell me if I
haven't), then you're saying that either I'm bullshitting, or being
intolerant.  But all I've done is ask you what you believe and why you
believe it.

Or perhaps you're still stuck on disliking my earlier ideas?  Which is fine,
I'm not invested in them, and they were just suggestions of possible other
directions the concept to go.  My apologies for wasting your time with them.

For what it's worth, I'm not quite a newbie; I've been reading (and
occasionally commenting on) FoRK for a couple of years now.