[FoRK] Anyone here use subversion?

John D. Mitchell jdmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:51:17 PDT 2011

On Aug 31, 2011, at 11:34 , Paul Jimenez wrote:
> On 08/26/2011 09:05 PM, John D. Mitchell wrote:
[...]
>> In terms of features, the big jump of svn over cvs was "atomic" commits.
> Which is no small thing, but took *way* too long to exist, given perforce's example to follow.

No kidding!

> Actually, my only real technical nit with Hg is the persistent branch naming thing: In git, branches are made locally and then when merged get pushed up to the main repo just as part of history - no name attached, just a non-linear history; names are essentially repo-scoped.  In Hg, branches are more global - there's no way to keep my local throwaway branch name from contaminating the global namespace (as defined by the main repo).

That confusion is very common. The confusion is that "branch" means different things (and, as usual, git picks a wretched version of that meaning :-). You can actually get git-style "branches" in hg -- check out hg's bookmarks. In addition, hg provides some other "branching" options that git doesn't:
http://stevelosh.com/blog/2009/08/a-guide-to-branching-in-mercurial/
[And not carefully that hg has added the pull/push'ing of bookmarks since that was written.]

> FWIW, my day job involves working on a product that currently integrates with 18 different version control systems.  Before I started this job I didn't even know there *were* 18 version control systems.

Ouch!

Good luck,
John