[FoRK] interesting electoral concept

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Aug 31 15:43:00 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 02:58:30PM -0700, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> On 8/31/2011 12:26 PM, Damien Morton wrote:
> >Why not answer his question then?
>
> About why I believe there are moral absolutes?  The same reason I
> believe there are scientific absolutes...they've been tried, tested,
> and succeeded in multiple iterations.  So maybe the confounds are a
> little more ephemeral, but that doesn't mean there are no empirical
> results.

Ah.  Pragmatism.
The least moral and most relative form of moral relativism.*

It's a great way to choose your morals, though, as long as you can find a
good figure of merit that everyone can agree on, handle the corner-cases
and perverse incentives before too many folks take advantage of them, and
smite all before you who disagree with your formulations.

I've just been reading _Free and Unequal_ by Roger J. Williams**.  His
1953 criticism of Communism and its misguided notion of the uniformity of
human needs and behavior leaves me ill-disposed to your view.

Regards,
  Aaron

*Least moral: it is not concerned with goodness, merely utility.
 Most relative: Any moral can be tested, found wanting and thrown out.

**Biologist who studied individual variations in nutritional needs.  His
  work was mostly forgotten until some of us Blood-Type and Paleo-Diet
  cranks noticed it.  Some of his work is being recapitulated by modern
  genetics and molecular biology research.