[FoRK] Laws that ban texting while driving could becounter productive

Bill Kearney wkearney99 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 09:37:23 PDT 2011

> he said, hands-free phone use can be safer than not using a phone at all
> because "drivers on a hands-free tend to compensate by watching the road
> more carefully when they are talking."'

Companies like pro-fit and arkon sell a great variety of hands-free mounts.
I've got a combo of a pro-fit bracket with an arkon mount (along with the
moto factory cradle) to hold Droid models in both mine and my wife's cars.
They work great.

What I want is a hand sign that says "Get off the Phone" on one side.  And
something like "You jackass!" on the other.

I'd support making use of a phone while driving a primary offense.  I've
asked a few cops about it and they said very few tickets issued for it ever
go to trial.  But they can't write up as many as they see because the
motorists aren't, at that time, breaking any other traffic laws.  They
offered some hesitation about having to use charges like reckless driving as
it seems a bit excessive.  They favored having it as an offense that could
be used to make a stop, as they felt that would do more to deter the
offense.  I'm not one to encourage police activity but clearly the existing
hands-free laws are not being effective at deterring the crime.

-Bill Kearney