[FoRK] Laws that ban texting while driving could be counter productive

Stephen Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Sep 15 09:12:41 PDT 2011

On 9/15/11 8:43 AM, J. Andrew Rogers wrote:
> On Sep 15, 2011, at 1:42 AM, Stephen Williams wrote:
>> The only effective alternatives to multitasking while driving (i.e. talking on the phone) are: A) public transportation (but rarely applicable and often slower than driving) B) driving much faster (not considered as an option in the US although perfectly feasible) C) limo / service (common in Manhattan, rare / unreasonable elsewhere), D) robotic cars (go Google / Thrun), E) work shuttles (if you work for Google, coming from SF) or F) personal flight (flying cars next year, but you need landing strips, expensive vehicle and training, not ready for it in general).
>
> You forgot "living closer to where you work" so that you are not spending several hours driving each week. This factor is significantly within the control of the individual, making it a tradeoff.
>
> If you consider the time spent driving as not utilized efficiently because you are driving then being able to do a few more things while driving is a pretty marginal improvement. Driving is still a waste of time. Effort would be better spent on minimizing the drive time or eliminating it altogether.

That's why I'm 3 miles from work.  And have spent years working at home.  But also have commuted >3 hours per day for more than
a year, commuted by flights, etc.

Many don't have that luxury, especially with upside down mortgages, rough labor market, etc.  It is often not a reasonably
available choice.
And in key areas, the only (economically) reasonable way to raise a family is to be far from work.