[FoRK] Republicanism as Religion

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Thu Sep 15 11:23:31 PDT 2011

On 9/15/2011 11:07 AM, Gary Stock wrote:
> It calls attention to historical malfeasance.

Not sure what this means?  Historical malfeasance in that congress did
the politically expedient thing  of passing an unpopular debt ceiling
raise instead of being financially responsible?

> More crucial at the moment: having ~not~ complained 85 times -- while
> benefiting from it, even personally -- and ~then~ complaining so
> bitterly, reveals an appalling degree of hypocrisy.

I disagree completely. You would have to be intellectually dishonest to
not recognize the objective, analytic, differences between what's
changed when the debt ceiling was previously passed and what it means to
currently pass it without reforms.   To me, the smokescreen is trying to
change the subject to how many times it was passed versus looking at the
actual debt, gdp, spending and ROI numbers.

Let's try something even simpler.  Do you think the US would have kept
its credit rating if the debt ceiling was passed without any spending
reform?

Greg