[FoRK] Republicanism as Religion

Gregory Alan Bolcer greg at bolcer.org
Thu Sep 15 11:53:10 PDT 2011

Thus, back to my original citation: A Point in Time, Horowitz.

MT: Your father was an atheist who believed fervently in the progressive
vision of an earthly utopia. This vision requires “mortals, fallible and
corrupt, to assume powers that are god-like.” But as you write in A
Point in Time, “a God who becomes human and suffers in the flesh to
redeem human sins is one thing; ordinary human beings acting as gods to
purge others of their sins is quite another.” Explain how “the quest for
an earthly redemption has led to the greatest crimes” and becomes “not
the kingdom of freedom but the totalitarian state.”

DH: If you think of yourself as a missionary whose goal is to create an
earthly paradise — to end oppression, racism poverty and war — what lie
will you not tell then and what crime will you not commit? If your goal
is to transform the world, which was made by corrupt and fallible human
beings, how can you accomplish this without the power to force them to
be something other than they are, and therefore to control every aspect
of their lives?

Sure there is A______n.