[FoRK] Republicanism as Religion

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Thu Sep 15 11:54:10 PDT 2011

> On 9/15/2011 11:07 AM, Gary Stock wrote:
>> It calls attention to historical malfeasance.
> Not sure what this means?  Historical malfeasance in that congress did
> the politically expedient thing  of passing an unpopular debt ceiling
> raise instead of being financially responsible?
I don't see how the word "unpopular" enters into it.

I meant that Congress did not perform some fiduciary duty adequately or
appropriately many of those 85 times.

>> More crucial at the moment: having ~not~ complained 85 times -- while
>> benefiting from it, even personally -- and ~then~ complaining so
>> bitterly, reveals an appalling degree of hypocrisy.
> I disagree completely.
Yes, we know.  We just didn't know "completely" could be so grotesque.

My comment stands.  The GOP is most recently most grossly hypocritical
over debt issues... although both parties have been hypocritical
whenever it served their purposes, many, many, many times.  The current
intent of the GOP -- to be more hypocritical than ever before possible
-- is the substance of the three articles that launched this exchange.

I apologize for raising genuine issues about honesty, which lie deep at
the heart of the problem.

I believe I speak for many:  we acknowledge that nothing but settled
dogma you already believe can breach your political defenses.  I will
endeavor to stop trying.

> Let's try something even simpler.  Do you think the US would have kept
> its credit rating if the debt ceiling was passed without any spending
> reform?
Please, would you simply tell us what the right answer is?  We'll just
read it, and know for sure.  That way, there may not be any need for you
to become aware of any other perspectives.  Easier on everybody -- plus
no risk of my raising those pesky moral or ethical issues.

GS