[FoRK] Republicanism as Religion

Gary Stock gstock at nexcerpt.com
Thu Sep 15 12:14:47 PDT 2011

> On Thu Sep 15 11:07:53 2011, Gary Stock wrote:
>> More crucial at the moment: having ~not~ complained 85 times -- while
>> benefiting from it, even personally -- and ~then~ complaining so
>> bitterly, reveals an appalling degree of hypocrisy.
>>
>> That kind of misdirection -- while denigrating and blocking potential
>> solutions over political dogma, rather than fact -- constitutes
>> intentional dishonesty. It's the same flavor of dishonesty being
>> directed against science, for example.
>>
>> Such dishonesty puts us all at risk. All of us. ALL of us.
>
> Rampant dishonesty, especially when it counts, is the most horrid
> thing going on.  The apparent gall of key people in key positions in
> manipulating the public, etc. is just sickening.

Precisely.  In recent years especially, dishonesty seem to have become
structural.  It's already a prerequisite for candidacy in the GOP.
Huntsman alone is trying to buck that trend, which merely assures his
irrelevance going forward.

Hypocrisy is no surprise among those in power, in either party or
outside any party apparatus.  However, we now are seeing people in power
stick more steadfastly to newly evolving lies (about science, economics,
morality, and so forth) than to honoring longstanding legitimate
principles (such as knowledge, maturity, justice, and so forth).

Officials have lost touch with people who might have held them to
something of lasting value.  Instead, they are constantly surrounded by
shortsighted people who benefit from the lies, or simply enjoy how the
lies let them feel.  The incentives have gone completely haywire...

GS