[FoRK] Poverty In America: A Special Report

Adam L Beberg beberg at mithral.com
Sun Sep 18 12:54:47 PDT 2011

Very information dense mid article. Almost every data point in the
original article (link at end) links to a citation, etc. A few more
years of this, and we'll finally have a US workforce poor enough to
compete with Chinese prison and child labor to make some iPhones. Just
in time for all those Chinese to lose their jobs to cheaper African
labor, clearly we need to get ahead somehow... maybe child prison laborers?

"
Poverty In America: A Special Report

America is getting poorer.  The U.S. government has just released a
bunch of new statistics about poverty in America, and once again this
year the news is not good.  According to a special report from the U.S.
Census Bureau, 46.2 million Americans are now living in poverty.  The
number of those living in poverty in America has grown by 2.6 million in
just the last 12 months, and that is the largest increase that we have
ever seen since the U.S. government began calculating poverty figures
back in 1959.  Not only that, median household income has also fallen
once again.  In case you are keeping track, that makes three years in a
row.  According to the U.S. Census Bureau, median household income in
the United States dropped 2.3% in 2010 after accounting for inflation.
Overall, median household income in the United States has declined by a
total of 6.8% once you account for inflation since December 2007.  So
should we be excited that our incomes are going down and that a record
number of Americans slipped into poverty last year?  Should we be
thrilled that the economic pie is shrinking and that our debt levels are
exploding?  All of those that claimed that the U.S. economy was
recovering and that everything was going to be just fine have some
explaining to do.

Back in the year 2000, 11.3% of all Americans were living in poverty.
Today, 15.1% of all Americans are living in poverty.  The last time the
poverty level was this high was back in 1993.

However, it is important to keep in mind that the government definition
of poverty rises based on the rate of inflation.  If inflation was still
calculated the way that it was 30 or 40 years ago, the poverty line
would be much, much higher and millions more Americans would be
considered to be living in poverty.

So why is poverty in America exploding?  Who is getting hurt the most?
How is America being changed by this?  What is the future going to look
like if we remain on the current path?

Let's take a closer look at poverty in America....

The Shrinking Number Of Jobs

Unemployment is rampant and the number of good jobs continues to shrink.
  Once upon a time in America, if you really wanted a job you could go
out and get one.  Today, competition for even the lowest paying jobs has
become absolutely brutal.  There simply are not enough chairs at the
"economic table", and not being able to get a good job is pushing large
numbers of Americans into poverty.....

*There are fewer payroll jobs in the United States today than there were
back in 2000 even though we have added 30 million people to the
population since then.

*Back in 1969, 95 percent of all men between the ages of 25 and 54 had a
job.  In July, only 81.2 percent of men in that age group had a job.

*If you gathered together all of the unemployed people in the United
States, they would constitute the 68th largest country in the world.

*According to John Williams of shadowstats.com, if you factored in all
of the short-term discouraged workers, all of the long-term discouraged
workers and all of those working part-time because they cannot find
full-time employment, the real unemployment rate right now would be
approximately 23 percent.

*If you have been unemployed for at least one year, there is a 91
percent chance that you will not find a new job within the next month.

The Working Poor

The number of low income jobs is rising while the number of high income
jobs is falling.  This has created a situation where the number of "the
working poor" in America is absolutely skyrocketing.  Millions of
Americans are working as hard as they can and yet they still cannot
afford to lead a middle class lifestyle.

*Since the year 2000, we have lost approximately 10% of our middle class
jobs.  In the year 2000 there were about 72 million middle class jobs in
the United States but today there are only about 65 million middle class
jobs.

*Back in 1980, less than 30% of all jobs in the United States were low
income jobs.  Today, more than 40% of all jobs in the United States are
low income jobs.

*Between 1969 and 2009, the median wages earned by American men between
the ages of 30 and 50 dropped by 27 percent after you account for inflation.

*According to a report released in February from the National Employment
Law Project, higher wage industries are accounting for 40 percent of the
job losses in America but only 14 percent of the job growth.  Lower wage
industries are accounting for just 23 percent of the job losses but 49
percent of the job growth.

*Half of all American workers now earn $505 or less per week.

*Last year, 19.7% of all U.S. working adults had jobs that would not
have been enough to push a family of four over the poverty line even if
they had worked full-time hours for the entire year.

*The number of Americans that are going to food pantries and soup
kitchens has increased by 46% since 2006.

Unprecedented Dependence On The Government

Because they cannot get good jobs that will enable them to support
themselves and their families, millions of Americans that used to be
hard working contributors to society are now dependent on government
handouts.  Nearly every single measure of government dependence is at a
record high, and there are no signs that things are going to turn around
any time soon.

*One out of every six Americans is now enrolled in at least one
government anti-poverty program.

*Nearly 10 million Americans now receive unemployment benefits.  That
number is almost four times larger than it was back in 2007.

*More than 45 million Americans are now on food stamps.  The number of
Americans on food stamps has increased 74% since 2007.

*Approximately one-third of the entire population of Alabama is now on
food stamps.

*More than 50 million Americans are now on Medicaid.

*Back in 1965, only one out of every 50 Americans was on Medicaid.
Today, approximately one out of every 6 Americans is on Medicaid.

*In 1980, just 11.7% of all personal income came from government
transfer payments.  Today, 18.4% of all personal income comes from
government transfer payments.

The Suffocating Cost Of Health Care

Millions of American families are being financially crippled by health
care costs.  The U.S. health care system is deeply, deeply broken and
Obamacare is going to make things even worse.  Health care is one of the
top reasons why American families get pushed into poverty.  Most of us
are just one major illness or disease from becoming financially wrecked.
  Just ask anyone that has gone through it.  The health insurance
companies do not care about you and they will try to wiggle out of their
obligations at the time when you need them the most.  If you talk to
people that have been through bankruptcy, most of them will tell you
that medical bills were at least partially responsible.

*In America today, there are 49.9 million Americans that do not have any
health insurance.  One single medical bill could easily wipe out the
finances of most of those people.

*Only 56 percent of Americans are currently covered by employer-provided
health insurance.

*According to a report published in The American Journal of Medicine,
medical bills are a major factor in more than 60 percent of the personal
bankruptcies in the United States.  Of those bankruptcies that were
caused by medical bills, approximately 75 percent of them involved
individuals that actually did have health insurance.

*According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, health care costs
accounted for just 9.5% of all personal consumption back in 1980.  Today
they account for approximately 16.3%.

More Children Living In Poverty

The United States has a child poverty rate that is more than twice as
high as many European nations.  We like to think that we have "the
greatest economy on earth", but the reality is that we have one of the
highest child poverty rates and it increased once again last year.

*The poverty rate for children living in the United States increased to
22% in 2010.  That means that tonight more than one out of every five
U.S. children is living in poverty.

*The poverty rate for U.S. adults is only 13.7%.

*Households that are led by a single mother have a 31.6% poverty rate.

*Today, one out of every four American children is on food stamps.

*It is being projected that approximately 50 percent of all U.S.
children will be on food stamps at some point in their lives before they
reach the age of 18.

*There are 314 counties in the United States where at least 30% of the
children are facing food insecurity.

*More than 20 million U.S. children rely on school meal programs to keep
from going hungry.

*It is estimated that up to half a million children may currently be
homeless in the United States.

The Plight Of The Elderly

The elderly are also falling into poverty in staggering numbers.  They
may not be out protesting in the streets, but that does not mean that
they are not deeply, deeply suffering.

*One out of every six elderly Americans now lives below the federal
poverty line.

*Between 1991 and 2007 the number of Americans between the ages of 65
and 74 that filed for bankruptcy rose by a staggering 178 percent.

*The Baby Boomers have only just begun to retire, and already our social
programs for seniors are starting to fall apart.  In 1950, each
retiree's Social Security benefit was paid for by 16 U.S. workers.
According to new data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there
are now only 1.75 full-time private sector workers for each person that
is receiving Social Security benefits in the United States.

Squeezed By Inflation

Rising inflation is squeezing the budgets of average American families
like never before.  Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke claims that
inflation is still low, but either he is delusional or he has not been
to a supermarket lately.

Personally, I do a lot of grocery shopping at a number of different
stores, and without a doubt prices are absolutely soaring.  Many of the
new "sale prices" are exactly what the old "regular prices" were just a
few weeks ago.

Some companies have tried to hide these price increases by shrinking
package sizes.  But there is no hiding the pain on the old wallet once
you fill up your cart with what you need to feed your family.

*Over the past year, the global price of food has risen by 37 percent
and this has pushed approximately 44 million more people around the
world into poverty.

*U.S. consumers will spend approximately $491 billion on gas this year.
  That is going to be a brand new all-time record.

*Right now, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in the United
States is $3.649.  That is 94 cents higher than 12 months earlier and it
is a brand new record for this time of the year.

A Smaller Share Of The Pie

The size of the "economic pie" in America is shrinking, and the share of
the pie for those that are poor is shrinking a lot faster than the share
of the pie for those that are wealthy.

*According to the Washington Post, the average yearly income of the
bottom 90 percent of all U.S. income earners is now just $31,244.

*When you look at the ratio of employee compensation to GDP, it is now
the lowest that is has been in about 50 years.

*At this point, the poorest 50% of all Americans now control just 2.5%
of all of the wealth in this country.

*Big corporations are even recognizing the change that is happening to
America. Just consider the following example from a recent article in
the Huffington Post....

     Manufacturers like Procter & Gamble, the household-goods giant
responsible for everything from Charmin and Old Spice to Tide, are
concentrating their efforts on luxury and bargain items, putting less
emphasis on products aimed at the middle class, the Wall Street Journal
reports.

Conclusion

America is fundamentally changing.  We were a nation that had the
largest middle class in the history of the globe, but now we are
becoming a nation that is deeply divided between the haves and the have
nots.

Perhaps you are still doing fine.  But don't think that economic
disaster cannot strike you.  Every single day, thousands more Americans
will lose their jobs or will discover a major health problem.  Every
single day, thousands more Americans will lose their homes or will be
forced to take a pay cut.

If you still have a warm, comfortable home to sleep in, you should be
thankful.  Poverty is a very sneaky enemy and it can strike at any time.
  If you are not careful, you might be the next American to end up
sleeping in your car or living in a tent city.

It is easy to disregard a couple of statistics, but can you really
ignore the vast amount of evidence presented above?

It is undeniable that America is getting poorer.  Poverty is spreading
and hopelessness and despair are rising.  There is a reason why the
economy is the number one political issue right now.  Millions upon
millions of Americans are in deep pain and they want some solutions.

Unfortunately, it appears quite unlikely that either major political
party is going to offer any real solutions any time soon.  So things are
going to keep getting worse and worse and worse.

Should we just keep doing the same things that we have been doing over
and over and over and yet keep expecting different results?

What we are doing right now is not working.  We are in the midst of a
long-term economic decline.  Both major political parties have been
fundamentally wrong about the economy.  It is time to admit that.

If we continue on this path, poverty in America is going to continue to
get a lot worse.  Millions of families will be torn apart and millions
of lives will be destroyed.

America please wake up.

Time is running out."

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/archives/poverty-in-america-a-special-report