[FoRK] Poverty In America: A Special Report

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Sun Sep 18 13:10:09 PDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 12:54:47PM -0700, Adam L Beberg said:
> The U.S. health care system is deeply, deeply broken and Obamacare is
> going to make things even worse.

Can you expand on the latter point? The batshit intricacies of the USs
healthcare system are fascinating but essentially unknowable to me.

> *Right now, the average price of a gallon of gasoline in the United States
> is $3.649.  That is 94 cents higher than 12 months earlier and it is a
> brand new record for this time of the year.

Petrol prices in the UK are currently the equivalent of $8.07 a gallon.
And this is not some sudden, astronomically huge price hike. The last
time we paid less than $4 a gallon was 1996 (approximately 52.9p per
litre. In 1997 it rose to 57.9p per litre). Factoring in inflation
(although I can't be bothered to work out the exchange rates for each
year) the last time we actually paid less than $4 a gallon was 1986
($3.86 a gallon, in 1987 it rose to $4.02).