[FoRK] Poverty In America: A Special Report

Reza B'Far (Oracle) reza.bfar at oracle.com
Sun Sep 18 14:33:01 PDT 2011

Folks -

The majority of the waste in health-care is due to the supply-chain
wastes and not provider/payer/receiver service-wastes (I know this
intimately from my day job as I build software that searches for waste
and fraud).  I have no political position on this thread, but I do find
it to be a fundamental issue that no one is trying to stream-line the
supply-chain by removing the huge inefficiencies as there are too many
"special-interest" folks that sit in the middle of the supply-chain,
offer 0 (or close to it) value, but are powerful entities that are able
to hinder the system from uptaking fundamental change.

The waste, IMHO, comes from fundamental inefficiencies in the market
system that are otherwise great in other areas, but are not compatible
with providing the best health-care to as many people as possible.  I'm
not saying I have an answer, but it kind of doesn't matter since the
"wastes" in the extra exams, people that don't pay their fair share,
etc. are far surpassed by supply chain wastes such as unbundling of
services between payers and providers.